District implements processes for identifying, recruiting, selecting, placing, supporting, evaluating, and retaining effective principals.
Why is this important?
- School leaders have an impact on student achievement (Bryk et al., 2010).
- School leadership is second only to teaching in its influence on student learning (Leithwood et al., 2004).
- Novice teachers cite
lackof professional and administrative support as a primary reason for leaving the profession (Headden, 2014).
- High principal turnover has been linked to low student achievement and is common in high-need, hard-to-staff schools (Headden, 2014).
How can TxCEE help?
- Support the development of leadership pipelines for districts who want talent-ready individuals prepared to move into leadership roles.
- Guide and assist in the development of effective programs or learning opportunities to prepare future leaders.
- Introduce one or more components of our Texas Principal Residency Program (TxPRP) to provide intensive, job-embedded training and support for novice principals.